Key Recommendations of Justice JS Verma Committee on Sexual Crime Laws
The Justice JS Verma committee, which was set up to propose amendments to laws relating to crimes against women, submitted its report to the home ministry on Wednesday.
The three-member committee in its report has criticized the government, police insensitivity and gender bias for the rising crimes against women in the country.
"Failure of governance is the obvious cause for the current situation," he said.
He also blamed the government for failing to prevent crimes against women and said the existing laws are adequate to check sexual assaults against women if properly implemented.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The committee had received suggestions and recommendations from public, women groups, eminent lawyers, NGOs, government agencies, experts and political parties in and out of the country.
The horrific gang-rape of the 23-year-old physiotherapy student in south Delhi on Dec 16 had sparked nationwide protests from the youth and women demanding tougher laws and protection against sexual assaults.
The committee said it had received more than 80,000 responses to the Home Ministry's public notice inviting suggestions to prevent crimes against women, from across India.
The key recommendations of the Justice JS Verma Committee
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Watch Europa League Semifinal First Leg: Sevilla vs Valencia Live Streaming Information
- Watch Europa League Semifinal: Benfica vs Juventus Live Streaming Information
- Anushka Sharma-Sidharth Malhotra to Team up for 'Priceless' Remake: Report
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Los Angeles Clippers vs Golden State Warriors Game 3 Live Streaming Information
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Oklahoma City Thunder vs Memphis Grizzlies Game 3 Live Streaming Information
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi is Power Hungry, Says Sonia Gandhi; Manmohan Singh Casts Vote in Assam
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Indiana Pacers vs Atlanta Hawks Game 3 Live Streaming Information
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi Files 2nd Nomination from Varanasi, Vows to Develop it into World's Spiritual Capital
- From Mahesh Babu's 'Aagadu' to Ram Charan's 'Govindudu Andarivadele': Upcoming Big Projects in Telugu Film Industry
- Watch IPL 2014 Match 11: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kolkata Knight Riders Live Streaming Information