Shakira Gives Birth to Baby Boy; 'Milan' Beomes FC Barcelona Member Like Father Gerard Pique
Latino singer Shakira and her soccer-star boyfriend Gerard Pique, FC Barcelona defender, welcomed their first child into the world on Tuesday.
According to reports, Shakira was admitted to the Teknon clinic in Barcelona that evening and few hours later gave birth to a boy weighing a healthy 3kg.
"We are happy to announce the birth of Milan Piqué Mebarak, son of Shakira Mebarak and Gerard Piqué, born January 22nd at 9:36pm, in Barcelona, Spain. The name Milan (pronounced MEE-lahn), means dear, loving and gracious in Slavic; in Ancient Roman, eager and laborious; and in Sanskrit, unification," said a statement on the singer's official website.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Just like his father, baby Milan became a member of FC Barcelona at birth. The hospital confirmed that the couple's first child weighed approximately 6lbs. 6 ounces, and that both mother and child are in excellent health," it added.
Shortly before the arrival of her baby boy, the 35-year-old singer had tweeted, "I'd like to ask you all to accompany me in your prayers on this very important day of my life."
Last week, the pop star, who is one of the goodwill ambassadors of United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF), released several pictures of her pregnant self with her beau as part of an initiative to help underprivileged children across the world.
The celebrity couple has also arranged an online baby shower through a website hosted by UNICEF so that fans could buy items like mosquito nets, polio vaccines and baby weighing scales to gift children from poor communities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Nelson Mandela’s Emotional Memorial Service At FNB Stadium, Great Personal Significance
- Uruguay Legalises Marijuana Trade, Contravenes International Drug Treaties
- Israel “badly wants a deal” from Australia
- Indian Army Denies Rights Violations Rife in Kashmir
- Russia Beefs Up Military Presence in Arctic North Pole
- US President Barack Obama at Mandela Memorial: We Will Never See the Likes of Nelson Mandela Again
- Nelson Mandela Memorial Service: South African President Jacob Zuma's Speech [FULL TEXT]
- UN to Send First Airlift of Aid into Syria to Help 60,000
- South Africa Struggling with Logistics for Nelson Mandela Memorial
- World Leaders Descend on Johannesburg for Nelson Mandela Memorial Service