Miss Universe 2012: Miss USA Olivia Culpo Wins Crown; Shilpa Singh Fails to Enter Top 10 [PHOTOS]
Miss USA Olivia Culpo from Rhode Island won the coveted Miss Universe 2012 title on Wednesday night, beating out 88 other contestants at a glittering ceremony at the Planet Hollywood casino in Las Vegas.
India's contender Shilpa Singh, a software engineer from Bihar, failed to make it to the top 10 at the beauty pageant. Singh represented India after winning "I AM She - Miss India Universe" title in 2012.
The 23-yer-old beauty queen, who is also a dancer, was among the top 16 contestants at the pageant.
With high hopes on Shilpa Singh, India was looking forward to regain the crown after 12 years. Actress Lara Dutta won the title in 2000 in Cypurs. Bollywood actress Sushmita Sen was the first Indian contestant to win the crown in 1994.
Olivia Culpo received the Diamond Nexus crown from last year's winner Miss Angola Lopes.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Miss Philippines Janine Tugonon was named runner-up, while Miss Venezuela Irene Sofia Esser Quintero came third in the beauty pageant.
Miss Guatemala Laura Godoy was chosen Miss Congeniality, Miss Kosovo Diana Avdiu grabbed the Miss Photogenic title and Miss China Ji Dan Xu won the Best National Costume title.
The 20-year-old beauty queen will travel the world over the next year to represent the Miss Universe Organization and a charity of her choice.
The panel of 10 judges included Diego Boneta, Kerri Walsh, Scott Disick, Nigel Barker, Brad Goreski, Cluadia Jordan, Pablo Sandoval, Lisa Venderpupm and Jiggy, Chef Masaharu Morimoto and Ximena Navarette.
Check out the photos of the glittering ceremony here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- AU to Make Most Expensive Military Purchase to Date
- Justin Bieber's Memory Fail, Troubled Singer Forgets Australia Tour; Song Blasted by High Schoolers to Raise $500 Donation [VIDEO]
- Aussies Call for New Australian Flag
- Asian Stocks Skid, Commodities Feel China Chill
- Indian Politician’s Grandson Among Passengers in Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, Family Awaits Disaster
- Climate Change and Rain Helped Genghis Khan Create the Mongolian Empire – Study