Mayan Calendar 2012: China Police Arrest 93 People for Spreading Doomsday Rumours
Chinese police have detained nearly 93 people for spreading rumours of the world ending on Dec 21, state news agency Xinhua reported.
The 93 people detained in seven provinces include members of the banned anti-communist cult called "Almighty God" in northwest China's Qinghai Province. These members were reportedly giving out leaflets forecasting the Mayan doomsday scenario.
"These cult members recently latched on to the Mayan doomsday scenario to predict the sun will not shine and electricity will not work for three days beginning on December 21," the news agency reported, citing the public security bureau of Xining, capital of the southwestern province of Qinghai.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Police have seized banners, discs, slogans, books and printing machines. Four members of the "Almighty God" were also arrested for swindling elderly people in the remote Arxan mountain area.
The government has launched a crackdown on the cult group, which has called for a battle" to slay the "Red Dragon" Communist Party, Reuters reported.
Earlier, there were reports that a man, identified as Min Yongjun, was arrested for stabbing 23 children at an elementary school and an adult near the school.
"Initial police investigation found Min, a long-term epilepsy sufferer, had been strongly psychologically affected by rumors of the upcoming end of the world predicted by ancient prophecy," Xinhua reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- China: Baby Beaten by Schoolgirl ‘Awakes from Coma’
- Kim Jong-un Uncle's Fund Manager Defects to South Korea
- Standard Chartered Says 647 Wealthy Clients' Data Stolen in Singapore
- George Osborne: I Don’t Accept UK Recovery is Unsustainable
- Battlefield 4’s PlayStation 3 Version Patch Details
- ‘Big Six’ E.on Hikes Energy Prices the Day After Autumn Statement
- Corruption: The World's Top 10 Best And Worst Countries
- Kangaroo Meat Export to China May Boost Australia’s Economy
- Miss Earth 2013 Live Stream: Where to Watch Finale Online
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Erratic; Is China Mobile a Deal or No Deal?