Mayan Calendar 2012: China Police Arrest 93 People for Spreading Doomsday Rumours
Chinese police have detained nearly 93 people for spreading rumours of the world ending on Dec 21, state news agency Xinhua reported.
The 93 people detained in seven provinces include members of the banned anti-communist cult called "Almighty God" in northwest China's Qinghai Province. These members were reportedly giving out leaflets forecasting the Mayan doomsday scenario.
"These cult members recently latched on to the Mayan doomsday scenario to predict the sun will not shine and electricity will not work for three days beginning on December 21," the news agency reported, citing the public security bureau of Xining, capital of the southwestern province of Qinghai.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Police have seized banners, discs, slogans, books and printing machines. Four members of the "Almighty God" were also arrested for swindling elderly people in the remote Arxan mountain area.
The government has launched a crackdown on the cult group, which has called for a battle" to slay the "Red Dragon" Communist Party, Reuters reported.
Earlier, there were reports that a man, identified as Min Yongjun, was arrested for stabbing 23 children at an elementary school and an adult near the school.
"Initial police investigation found Min, a long-term epilepsy sufferer, had been strongly psychologically affected by rumors of the upcoming end of the world predicted by ancient prophecy," Xinhua reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Malaysian Flight MH370: “It was Looking Grim,” Premier Newman Says of Queensland Couple
- Malaysian Flight MH370: Perth Man Leaves Ring and Watch for Sons as if Goodbye Gesture
- Drug Lord Reported Dead Years Ago Killed in Shootout, Mexico Says
- Missing Malaysian Jet May Have Disintegrated in Mid-air, Says Source
- Apple Release Round Up: iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 Fall Release plus Top Killer Features to Expect
- Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370: Two New Zealanders Feared Dead in Lost Aircraft
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Wife of Kiwi Passenger Prays for Miracle, Air New Zealand Still Believes in Safety Features of Boeing 777s
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini: Samsung Unveils Value Edition with Faster Processor, Already Available in Netherlands
- 8 Oppo Find 7 50 MP Camera Captures Leaked; Aperture f/2.0 Matches Sony Xperia Z2?
- Malaysian Flight MH370: Australia Aid in Search with 2 RAAF Aircraft