Coming Soon: Contact Lenses that Display Text Messages; New competitor to Google’s 'Project Glass'? [VIDEO]
Scientists have developed a new technology that projects text messages on a contact lens placed in the human eye.
A research team at Ghent University's centre of micro-systems technology has invented a spherical curved LCD contact display which can be embedded to a contact lens. Text messages will be projected using wireless technology.
"Now that we have established the basic technology, we can start working towards real applications, possibly available in only a few years," said Professor Herbert De Smet, according to Telegraph.
Going by the rumours, the newly developed lens is already deployed in the fashion and medical sectors. According to reports, the lens could be used to control the amount of light falling on the retina of a damaged Iris. The new technology uses the whole curved surface of the lens to capture the text, unlike the previous versions of contact lenses which were limited to some pixels.
"This is not science fiction," said De Smet, the chief researcher on the project.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"This will never replace the cinema screen for films. But for specific applications it may be interesting to show images such as road directions or projecting text messages from our smart phones straight to our eye," he added.
The latest innovation is seen as a contender to Google's recently released 'Project Glass', wherein the eyewear performs all the activities that are usually carried out by a smartphone. Researchers are also looking to develop the lens as a sunglass which can adapt to the intensity of sunlight.
Click on the video below to see the workings of the newly developed contact lens:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Nokia X Android Smartphone to Launch in India on 10 March: Report
- Lava Iris 503e Budget Android Smartphone Released; Price, Specifications
- iPhone 6 Release Date: Price Cuts on iPhone 5S and 5C Hints Early Launch?
- HTC One 2 Release Date: Expect At Least 5 Upgrades Over HTC One
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Pre-order Stopped in India; New Device Priced More Than Galaxy S4
- iPhone 6 Release Date: 90 Million Units Expected to Hit Market; Smartphone Shipment May Rise in 2014
- Panasonic P31 Smartphone Launched In India; Price, Specification Details
- HTC ‘All New One’ aka M8 Smartphone Snapshot Leaked; Dual-Camera Revealed
- Google Nexus 5 to get Stability OS Update to Fix Battery Draining Bug: Report
- iPhone 6 Release Soon As Apple Has Millions Of iPhone 5C Left Unsold