Coming Soon: Contact Lenses that Display Text Messages; New competitor to Google’s 'Project Glass'? [VIDEO]
Scientists have developed a new technology that projects text messages on a contact lens placed in the human eye.
A research team at Ghent University's centre of micro-systems technology has invented a spherical curved LCD contact display which can be embedded to a contact lens. Text messages will be projected using wireless technology.
"Now that we have established the basic technology, we can start working towards real applications, possibly available in only a few years," said Professor Herbert De Smet, according to Telegraph.
Going by the rumours, the newly developed lens is already deployed in the fashion and medical sectors. According to reports, the lens could be used to control the amount of light falling on the retina of a damaged Iris. The new technology uses the whole curved surface of the lens to capture the text, unlike the previous versions of contact lenses which were limited to some pixels.
"This is not science fiction," said De Smet, the chief researcher on the project.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"This will never replace the cinema screen for films. But for specific applications it may be interesting to show images such as road directions or projecting text messages from our smart phones straight to our eye," he added.
The latest innovation is seen as a contender to Google's recently released 'Project Glass', wherein the eyewear performs all the activities that are usually carried out by a smartphone. Researchers are also looking to develop the lens as a sunglass which can adapt to the intensity of sunlight.
Click on the video below to see the workings of the newly developed contact lens:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- iPhone 6 Release Date: Analyst Expects Big from Flagship Smartphone, Priced More Than iPhone 5S
- Sony Xperia E1 Dual Music-Centric Budget Smartphone Released; Price, Availability Details
- LG G3 to Boast Water and Dust Resistant Body: Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo Budget Variant Under Works: Report
- Apple Stock Moving Closer to $700 in 12 Months; iTunes Radio Grabs 3rd Spot From Spotify in the U.S.
- Flappy Bird: Creator Dong Nguyen's Philosophy of 'Design Simplicity'
- Latest Google Nexus 6 Concept Image Comes With Powerful Specs And Features
- Dong Nguyen: Flappy Bird Creator Expresses His Humane Side, Talks About Childhood And Future Plans
- Apple iPhone 6 Release to Come With Self-Healing Coating, Mac And iDevices to be More Scratch-resistant Than Ever
- Google: Android SDK For Wearable Devices to be Launched in 2 Weeks