Ajmal Kasab Hanged in Secrecy at Pune's Yerwada Jail
Lone terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, Ajmal Kasab, was hanged Wednesday at Pune's Yerwada jail, the Maharashtra Home Ministry said.
Maharashtra Home Minister R.R. Patil said the 25-year-old convict was hanged at 7:30 am. "I sincerely believe this is a tribute to all innocent people and the officers who lost their lives in the Mumbai attacks," he told NDTV.
On Monday, Kasab was transferred from Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai to Yerwada Jail for his execution. The hanging took place in utmost secrecy considering the sensitivity of his case. His body was buried on the premises of Yerwada jail.
"He was asked what his last wish was. He did not say anything," said Patil.
According to ABP news service, Kasab placed a request to inform his mother Noorie of his death. A courier containing the information was dispatched to her.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Kasab's execution came five days before the fourth anniversary of the 2008 blasts. He was among the ten Pakistani terrorists who launched multiple attacks across Mumbai on Nov 26, 2008. Around 166 people were killed in the terror siege. While all the other gunmen perished in the police firing, Kasab was captured alive.
Following his arrest in 2008, the Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist was locked in a high-security cell in Arthur Road jail. In May 2010, a special trial court handed him the death penalty, which was upheld by the Mumbai High Court. Kasab challenged the order with the Supreme Court, saying he was not given a fair trial. His appeal was rejected in August on the grounds of raging war against the nation and treason.
After losing his battle in the apex court, Kasab presented a mercy appeal before President Pranab Mukherjee in September. Following a recommendation from the Home Ministry, Pranab rejected his petition.
Several reactions poured in after the announcement of his death. BJP Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naq said, "Whatever has happened could have happened earlier, but better late than never. It is a lesson to those powers who are spreading terrorist activities all over the world," Reuters reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Boxing News 2014: Expert Says Pacquiao Would Beat Mayweather If the Dream Match Would Take Place Now; Tax Court Orders Phil Gov’t to Stop Garnishing Pacman’s Properties
- Supreme Court Asks Govt to Reveal List of Indian Account Holders in German Bank
- Iron ore mining likely to restart in January in Goa
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Los Angeles Clippers vs Golden State Warriors Game 3 Live Streaming Information
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Oklahoma City Thunder vs Memphis Grizzlies Game 3 Live Streaming Information
- Lorde and Flume’s ‘Tennis Court’ Remix A Hit [VIDEO]