Datawind to Clear Backlog Orders of 'Aakash 2' in 6 Weeks
The paid orders for the world's cheapest tablet computer Aakash will be cleared within the next six weeks, said Datawind, the maker of the tablet PC.
The British-based company, which launched the next version of Aakash in association with the India government last week, had already received an order of 40 lakhs tablet in the past few days.
The new tablet is launched with two touchscreens - resistive and capacitative. The company said the backlog orders for the tablet without SIM cards will be cleared in the next couple of days, and the paid orders with SIM cards included will be cleared in the next four weeks.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"All the paid orders (for tablets with) resistive and capacitative (screens) without SIM will be cleared in next 10 days. But the ones that want tablet with SIM they will be cleared in the next 4 to 6 weeks," DataWind CEO Suneet Singh Tuli told Press Trust of India.
Datawind had received an order for one lakh Ubislate tablet PCs from the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) alone and is getting good response from other government agencies as well. Currently, the company is shipping around 2,500 to 3,000 tablets PCs on a daily basis and is looking at a larger production of 10,000 units everyday in the coming months.
"Right now we are doing 2,500-3,000(units) a day. We are targeting that, by end of the year, around 10,000 (units) on a daily basis. Then we will keep enhancing expanding," said Tuli.
The successor of the popular Aakash tablet sports a 7-inch touch screen with 800 x 480 pixels resolution and runs on Android 4.0 operating system. The tablet was procured by the Indian government at a cost of ₹2,263 per unit and is provided to students for a subsidized cost of ₹1,132. Akash 2 is expected to reach one lakh students by the end of the year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Microsoft, HP Launch Omni 10 Tablet PC with Pearson Educational Contents for Indian College Students; Price, Specification Details
- Samsung to Launch Bluetooth Controllable LED Smart Bulb at Light+Building 2014; Key Features You Need Know
- Lenovo Folder Pad: Can This Tablet Give Microsoft Surface a Run For Its Money?
- HTC Desire 816 vs Nokia Lumia 1320 vs Sony Xperia T2 Ultra: Specifications Comparison
- ‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Alia-Arjun Starrer Beats ‘Main Tera Hero’ in 6 Days
- Tata Bolt Spotted Testing Again as Launch Nears