Samsung Galaxy S3 Overtakes iPhone in Q3 Sales; Popularity may be Short-Lived
According to a survey carried out by the firm, Galaxy S3 sales were higher than the combined sales figures of both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 in the third quarter that ended Sept 30. Samsung has reportedly shipped 18 million units of Galaxy S3 worldwide, while Apple's shipment was estimated at 16.2 million.
"The Galaxy S3 captured an impressive 11 per cent share of all smartphones shipped globally and it has become the world's best-selling smartphone model for the first time ever," said Neil Shah, a senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics, according to Mobile Magazine.
The firm also said that the present popularity of Galaxy S3 may not last for long with the coming of Apple's sixth-generation iPhone. The Cupertino giant showed a firm start in sales for its iPhone 5, selling six million units in the third quarter.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics said, "Samsung's Galaxy S3 has proven wildly popular with consumers and operators across North America, Europe and Asia," adding that its position as the world's best-selling smartphone "is likely to be short-lived".
Galaxy S3 has set new records since its launch in May, with almost 30 million units reportedly sold until now. Shortly after the smartphone's debut, Samsung launched an aggressive advertisement campaign for the device. As part of its marketing strategy, the company also announced the availability of the Galaxy S3 in new colour versions like Spiral Black, Garnet Red, and Embassy Brown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date: Patent Hints at Drastic Changes in Design
- iPhone 6 Release Date: Comparison of Apple Smartphone's Case with Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 5S [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy K (aka S5 Zoom) Snapshots Leaked Online Ahead of Official Launch
- Apple Inc. Surprises Investors and Analysts with $45.6B Revenue Due to Strong iPhone Sales in Q2 2014
- Earlier iPhone 6 Release Date on Q3 2014 Confirmed by Leaked Metal Casing & Display Glass Details – Reports