Air India Pilot Sounds Hijack Alert after Passenger Scare in Thiruvananthapuram
Tensions flared at the Thiruvanthapuram airport in Kerala after a pilot sent a hijack alert on Friday morning.
Reports said that the pilot of the plane declared an emergency situation after passengers allegedly tried to storm into the cockpit to protest against the delay in take-off. The Kochi-bound Air India flight was heading from Abu Dhabi, but landed in Thiruvananthapuram due to weather conditions. The flight was delayed by over two hours.
According to NDTV, passengers said they expected to disembark the flight at 3.30 am in Kochi but spent close to seven hours on the plane after it was re-rerouted. Refuting the reports of an entry breach, the passengers alleged that they were waiting outside the cockpit to get information of the delay from the pilot.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The passengers were reportedly upset after learning that the flight may be terminated without reaching their destination.
The pilot said that the passengers were creating trouble, and was prompted to sound a hijack alarm to airport authorities.
The present pilot and crew alighted from the plane as their shift ended and a new team was arranged to fly the passengers. The aircraft took off at 2pm to Kochi.
Aviation regulator DGCA has ordered an inquiry into the incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Crystal Edition Teased Online; Tipped to Launch in May
- NTT DoCoMo to Exit India, Unload Entire Stake in Tata Teleservices - Sources
- Watch Europa League Semifinal First Leg: Sevilla vs Valencia Live Streaming Information
- Boxing News 2014: Expert Says Pacquiao Would Beat Mayweather If the Dream Match Would Take Place Now; Tax Court Orders Phil Gov’t to Stop Garnishing Pacman’s Properties
- Triumph Motorcycle Opens India’s Third Dealership in Kochi
- IPL 7 Results: Maxwell Unstoppable as Kings XI Punjab Thrash Sunrisers Hyderabad