Maruti Alto 800 Pre-Order Booking Begins; Seeks to Regain Market Share
Seeking to tap consumer interest in the forthcoming Diwali festivities, India's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki opened pre-order bookings for its all-new Alto 800 two weeks ahead of its debut in October.
According to reports, consumers can book orders for the revamped version of the best-selling Alto for an amount of ₹5000. Though Maruti is yet to confirm the price details of and features of the upcoming model, it's said that the Alto 800 will be priced ₹2 lakh onwards.
The soon-to-be launched Alto is expected to arrive with an array of features, the most notable change being the 796 cc petrol engine that will give approximately 23 kmpl and the CNG version that will deliver a mileage of around 31 kmpl. The company claimed the fuel economy of the new vehicle will be 15 percent more than its predecessor models.
Tata Nano, Hyundai EON, and even the Alto K10, which fall in the low-price bracket, are among the new Alto's top competitors.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Maruti's move to initiate pre-order bookings comes at a time when the company is hit by declining sales largely caused by the labour unrest that called for a halt in production at the Manesar plant in Haryana. The plant lockout majorly impacted the sales of the Swift hatchbacks and Dzire sedans.
Even sales of small cars suffered after the auto sector took a hit from the subsequent fuel hikes and high interest rates. In the period running from April to August, the company's sales of the existing Alto declined 34.83 percent, selling only 89,000 units as against 1.22 lakh units in the corresponding period last year. Alto sales last year dropped to 3.08 lakh units from 3.4 lakh units in 2010, Press Trust of India (PTI) said.
The significant drop in sales sent Maruti shares tumbling down to 40 percent in the domestic auto market this August. The company is now seeking to regain a strong foothold in the market with the launch of the Alto 800 during the Diwali season.
"It is a very difficult market now. It is in a bit of flux now and with the Alto 800, we hope there would be excitement and it will reignite the market," Maruti Suzuki India Vice President of Marketing Manohar Bhat said earlier, according to PTI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- IPL 7 Results: Maxwell, Miller Blitz Rajasthan Royals Into Submission as Kings XI Make Mockery of Another Big Chase
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Portland Trail Blazers v Houston Rockets Live Streaming Information
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Washington Wizards v Chicago Bulls Live Streaming Information
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats Live Streaming Information
- Watch NBA Playoffs: San Antonio Spurs v Dallas Mavericks Live Streaming Information
- Watch English Premier League: Everton vs Manchester United Live Streaming Information
- Watch IPL 7 Match 7: Rajasthan Royals vs Kings XI Punjab Live Streaming Information
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Congress Hopes to Win 120 Seats to Form Next Governmet with Support of Third Front?
- Watch English Premier League: Hull City vs Arsenal Live Streaming Information
- Chinese GP Results: Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton Secures Third Title in a Row