Torrential Rains Trigger Landslides, Flash Floods in Uttarakhand; 10 Killed, Pilgrims Stranded
Heavy torrential rains wreaked havoc in Uttarakhand, killing atleast ten people and many people have reportedly gone missing. The landslides also stranded pilgrims in the state.
The non-stopping rain in Uttarakhand for the last few days led to landslides and flash floods. Media reports said that three officials of fire brigade were among the ten people who were killed in the flash floods. Two children died in roof collapse, while the flash floods washed off one kid in Pokhri area.
Heavy landslides have blocked the main highways, mainly those that lead to Badrinath, bringing the pilgrims' journey to a halt. Media reports suggested that the fresh landslides have left hundreds of pilgrims stranded in Patalganga, Lambagar and Birahi.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The pilgrims' tour to Gangori and Yamunotri remained disrupted for the straight second day on Saturday. Officials are evacuating the inhabitants of Gangori area in Uttarkashi as the holy river Bhagirathi is reportedly overflowing and crossing the danger level.
It is also reported that 30 homes were washed off after the Gangotri Bridge collapsed.
Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre has been put on high alert as the forecast suggests that the heavy rains will continue for the next two days. Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has directed the officials concerned to immediately undertake rescue operations and personally look into the calamity, said a source.
The source also said that the state government has temporarily closed the annual Chardham Yatra pilgrimage owing to the number of deaths caused by the unrelenting rains and flash floods since Friday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- How to Manually Update Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Kate Middleton's Sis Pippa Middleton Secretly Engaged? Know All About Her Banker Boyfriend
- Top 7 Free Android Apps In 2013
- 10 Things You Don’t Know About Miss International 2013 Bea Rose Santiago
- How to Update Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with Android 4.4.2 KitKat Using SlimSaber
- RBI Proposes Steps to Rein in Bad Loans
- Miss International 2012 Ikumi Yoshimatsu Ultimately Opens Up About Absence From Miss International 2013 Pageant
- MacBook Air 2014 Release Date and Rumor Round-up: Air to Feature 12-Inch Screen, Retina Display, Better Battery and OS X/iOS Convergence
- Sharp Strikes 'Hammer Blow' Before Christmas Unveiling 250 Job Losses in Wrexham
- Datsun Go Road Show Begins in India; Nissan Eyes Network Expansion
Thailand’s Anti-Government Protests: Demonstrators Vow to ‘March’ Until PM is Removed; Will Yingluck Shinawatra Give Up?