Most Tragic Breakup: Giant Tortoises Divorcing After 115 Years Despite Counselling
Yes, you have read it correct! the oldest pair of giant tortoises, Bibi and Poldi, is divorcing after 115 years together.
The two giant tortoises that have been living in reptilian matrimony at an Austrian zoo have refused to share their cage anymore, the Austrian Times reported .
According to the paper, the zoo management has also called in animal experts to try and give the pair counselling. They tried to give them romantic good mood meal and involved them in joint games - but nothing seems to have worked out.
"We get the feeling they can't stand the sight of each other anymore," Helga Happ, director of the Klagenfurt-based zoo, told Austrian times.
For the last 36 years, the tortoises- Poldi, the male and Bibi, the female - have spent at a zoo in Klagenfurt, Austria, which they call home and before that they were in Basel and Switzerland zoo.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Both the tortoises have been together since they were young. They grew up together and eventually became a pair.
"They are both 115 years old - they have been together since they were young and grew up together, eventually becoming a pair. But for no reason that anyone can discover they seem to have fallen out, they just can't stand each other," Happ added.
The zoo management realized that the couple called off when Bibi bit off a chunk of Poldi's shell and she continued to attack. However, after the attack Poldi was moved to another cage.
"We have staff talking to and trying to engage the two in interacting, and we hope that they might find their harmony again. We were told that it's very rare that after so many years animals who are a pair will fall apart, but that's where we are. We hope though we can bring round reconciliation," Happ added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Ex-Deutsche Bank Trader Gets Seven Years in Hong Kong Jail for Taking Bribes
- Women in the City: ‘Government Opposes EU Quota for Female Employees’ [VIDEO]
- Australian Army 'Fear Management' Exercise so Tough it Caused Mental Illness
- WTI Oil Futures Trade Near Six-Week High on Robust China Demand
- Cerberus Struggles to Sell Guns Business Post-Sandy Hook Shootings
- Telecom New Zealand Divests AAPT, Sells to Australia's TPG Telecom Ltd for AU $450M
- The Paul Walker Chronicles: All About Roger Rodas, The Driver Who Died Opposite Walker [PHOTOS/ VIDEOS]
- Kanye West the ‘Next Nelson Mandela’, Fans Enraged at Disrespectful Interview [PHOTOS]
- India Elections: Congress Heads for Rout in Most States
- Android v4.4 KitKat May Roll out to Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, S3 Mini, Core, Ace 3 and More Devices: Report
Madhya Pradesh Election Result: BJP's Shivraj Singh Chouhan to Continue as CM, Jyotiraditya Scindia Upset