Nithyananda Controversy: Godman Surrenders before Court, Sent to Judicial Custody
Godman Swami Paramahamsa Nithyananda, who had been reportedly abscounding following arrest order over sex scandal cases, surrendered in the Ramanagaram district court in Karnataka on Wednesday.
The self-styled godman has been sent to a day's judicial custody by Ramanagaram district court. He is expected to apply for bail on Thursday.
The arrest came after the Karnataka high court adjourned the hearing of his plea to dismiss the FIR against him.
The Karnataka police have been on a look out for Nityananda over sexual abuse allegations against him and assault complaint. He faces criminal charges including rape.
The police lodged a criminal case against Nithyananda and his followers on June 8 after the Godman's devotes allegedly assaulted the journalists during a press conference at his ashram.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
According to media reports, journalists shot some uncomfortable questions to Nithyananda over the controversies surrounding him, which led to heated exchange of words between him and reporters. Annoyed by the media questions, he asked his devotees to take away the media persons from the ashram, which led to a tussle.
Adding more salt to the wounds, a US-based woman filed a complaint against the godman, alleging that he sexually abused her for five years.
Following a slew of charges against him, chief minister of Karnataka D V Sadananda Gowda commissioned Regional Commissioner of Bangalore Division, Shambulal Meena, to probe into the allegations against Nithyananda and gather evidence from his ashram on his activities as well.
Gowda held meeting with Home Minister R Ashok, Law Minister Suresh and DGP Lalrokhuma Pachau over the related to Nithyananda, before directing the officials to arrest him and his followers for allegedly attacking the newspersons.
Nithyananda hit the headlines in 2010 after a local television channel caught him in a compromising position with an actress. Several complaints were filed against him after the aleeged video of him and the actress was telecast on television. He was arrested and later released on bail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Chimpanzees Denied 'Personhood' Status By New York Courts
- Hate Preacher Abu Qatada Tells Jordan Terror Trial: I've Been Betrayed
- Disabled Wrestler Arrested and Handcuffed in Walmart for Price Matching
- Stan Collymore Targeted Again by Racist Twitter Trolls with Death Image
- Somalia: Woman and Journalists Who Reported Rape Sentenced
- Atheists Getting Raw Deal World Over, Says Study
- Kristen Stewart Invited to Spend Holidays With Robert Pattinson and His Family
- 'Don't Mock Your Office', Politicians Tell AK Ganguly to Resign [VIDEO]
- Nelson Mandela Memorial Service: Madiba's Humanity Challenges us all to be Better
- Madoff Spied on SEC Investigators Says Star Witness