Top 10 World's Happiest Countries; India At No.91
The United States of America is perhaps the most powerful nation in the world but that doesn't make it the most prosperous country. According to Legatum Prosperity Index, an annual ranking developed by the Legatum Institute of 110 countries, Norway is the most prosperous country and Central African Republic is ranked last. India is ranked 91.
Norway has been ranked No.1 for the third consecutive years in Legatum Prosperity Index. With per capita GDP of $54,000, ranked first in social capital and second in safety and security, Norway tops the list in 2011 ranking too.
Denmark is in the second position, followed by Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Canada, Finland, Switzerland, Netherlands and United States.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
According to Legatum Prosperity Index, India scrored low in all the eight sub-indexes that were used to determine the prosperous and happiest of a country. India is ranked 53 in economy, 90 in entrepreneurship and opportunity, 41 in governance, 88 in education, 95 in health, 97 in safety and security, and 73 in personal freedom.
India is ranked 91 in the list of bottom 20 followed by Senegal (92), Nepal (93), Cambodia (94), Bangladesh (95), Tanzania (96), Iran (97), Rwanda (98), Camerron, 99, Uganda (100), Zambia (101), Kenya (102), Mozambique (103), Nigeria (104), Sudan (105), Yemen (106), Pakistan (107), Ethiopia (108), Zimbabwe (109) and Central African Republic (110).
'Prosperity' is not all about wealth but various other factors like happiness, health, quality of life etc determine it. The Legatum Prosperity Index assesses 110 countries that constitute about 90 percent of the world's population.
The Legatum Prosperity Index is based on 89 different variables that are grouped into eight sub-indexes such as Economy, Entrepreneurship & Opportunity, Governance, Education, Health, Safety & Security, Personal Freedom and Social Capital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- China Takes Lead to Set Up $50 Billion Multilateral Infra Funding Bank in Asia
- Sea Food at New York Market Suspected of Causing Rare Skin Infection
- All-England Championships Results: India’s Saina Nehwal and China’s Li Xuerui Enter Quarterfinals
- Box Office Collection: ‘Shaadi Ke Side Effects’ Earns ₹30 Crore in 1 Week; ‘Gunday’ Completes 21 Days
- Panasonic P31 Smartphone Launched In India; Price, Specification Details
- INS Kolkata Accident: One Commander Rank Officer Dies in Another Naval Mishap Days After INS Sindhuratna Fire