Petrol Price Hike: Bharat Bandh Tomorrow; Normal Life To Be Affected
The recent hike in petrol price has turned as inflammable as petrol itself.
Following the steepest-ever hike in petrol prices, the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the Shiv Sena and the Republican Party of India (RPI) have appealed to the people to call for a 'Bharat Bandh' on May 31 to protest the move of the government. The NDA will also protest against price rise of basic commodities.
BJP leader L K Advani and JD(U) president Sharad Yadav, NDA's acting chairman and convenor respectively, decided to call for a 'Bharat Bandh' to protest the steep increase in petroleum price.
The Left has called for an 'All India Protest Day' tomorrow to demand a rollback in petrol price. Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray and social activists Anna Hazare too have supported the bandh.
"People want a bandh against the petrol price hike and inflation. We are only appealing people to support the bandh to make it a success," NDA quoted senior Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai as saying.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Normal Life of the Public Likely To Be Affected
Thursday's nation-wide bandh is likely to affect the normal life of the people in various parts of the country.
"The party is supporting the bandh for which we have requested the citizens to co-operate as the bandh has been called against the spiralling rates of petrol which is impacting the common man. By tomorrow, we will get a fair picture of the industries and other institutions who will be participating in the bandh by declaring their establishments closed on May 31," BJP spokesperson S. Prakash told Deccan Chronicle.
Schools, companies and other business establishments are still undecided if they will declare holiday on the day of the bandh. Sources said that some companies have asked their employees to work from home. Educational institutions are likely to be closed only if the governments in their respective states declare holiday. However, banks will remain open.
Public transportation is likely to be affected in various places across the country. However, some city transport corportations have assured normal transportation services to the public.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Watch IPL 2014 Match 10: Rajasthan Royals vs Chennai Super Kings Live Streaming Information
- Fans Voted Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif as Veronica, Archie and Betty
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Kejriwal Files Nomination from Varanasi, Accuses Congress, BJP of Spending Black Money on Campaigning
- OnePlus One Phablet with CyanogenMod 11S Android KitKat OS, 3GB RAM Unveiled; Price, Availability Details
- Supreme Court Asks Govt to Reveal List of Indian Account Holders in German Bank
- Suzuki Let’s Bookings Open in India; Price, Launch Details
- Motorola Moto X Walnut Wood Panel Variant Now Available in India; Price and Specification Details
- Kollywood News: Vijay-Amala Paul Wedding; 'Vijay 58' Update; 'Ai' Audio Release
- IIFA Awards 2014: Hollywood Star John Travolta to Join Bollywood Celebs in Tampa Bay
- What is ANZAC Day: Meaning, History Fast Facts And Major Events