Petrol Price Hike: BJP Calls For India Strike — ‘Bharat Band’ On May 31 Against UPA’s Anniversary Gift
The UPA government, on its third anniversary, has gifted an extremely abrupt and unbelievably steep petrol price hike and this is perhaps the most appropriate time for the opposition party to jump into the fray and bring up the failures of the present government.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is holding its national executive meeting on Thursday, announced an India shutdown on May 31 on behalf of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
According to a Yahoo report, NDA convener and JDU chief Sharad Yadav said that all the NDA partners are in agreement for the proposal of “Bharat Band” on May 31 and have approached other political parties for support.
The BJP will spearhead the protest against hike in petroleum prices announced by the government last evening.
Senior BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said the strike was called on May 31 by their patriarch L K Advani.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
He said Advani, on behalf of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), has announced the strike" in the wake of enormous hike of petrol prices by over Rs 7."
"We appeal to the people of the country to make it a great success peacefully by conveying their profound anger," said Prasad here addressing media.
Outrage flared all over India as the sharpest hike till date in petrol prices took effect on Thursday.
Indian Oil said that along with fellow state oil retailers Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd and Bharat Petroleum, it would raise petrol prices by Rs 6.28 per litre excluding local taxes from midnight, translating to a 11.5 percent or Rs 7.5 hike in New Delhi and cities like Kolkata.
(With inputs from IBNS)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Miss Earth 2013: Miss India Sobhita Dhulipala Strong Contender to Win Title?
- 1st Test, Day 4 Preview: New Zealand vs West Indies Live Streaming Information
- Article 370: Election Opens an Indian Political Sore That Refuses to Heal
- Clever Crocodiles Use Twigs and Sticks to Lure Prey
- Lava Iris 503, 3G 402 Go Official for ₹9,999 and ₹5,499
- ‘Dhoom 3’ Box Office: Filmmakers and Distributors to Hike Ticket Price?
- Toyota Unveils New Land Cruiser Prado in India for ₹84.87 Lakh
- Sunil Grover Dumps ‘Gutthi’ for ‘Kunwari’?
- ‘Bullett Raja’ Box Office Collection: Saif Starrer Steady in India; ‘Ram-leela’ Dominates
- Bigg Boss 7: After Nishi Kohli, Rajkumar Kohli Supports Armaan-Tanisha Friendship
Andhra Bifurcation: Violent Protests, Transport Paralysed by Bandh Against Rayala-Telangana Proposal