Petrol Price Hike: BJP Calls For India Strike — ‘Bharat Band’ On May 31 Against UPA’s Anniversary Gift
The UPA government, on its third anniversary, has gifted an extremely abrupt and unbelievably steep petrol price hike and this is perhaps the most appropriate time for the opposition party to jump into the fray and bring up the failures of the present government.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is holding its national executive meeting on Thursday, announced an India shutdown on May 31 on behalf of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
According to a Yahoo report, NDA convener and JDU chief Sharad Yadav said that all the NDA partners are in agreement for the proposal of “Bharat Band” on May 31 and have approached other political parties for support.
The BJP will spearhead the protest against hike in petroleum prices announced by the government last evening.
Senior BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said the strike was called on May 31 by their patriarch L K Advani.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
He said Advani, on behalf of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), has announced the strike" in the wake of enormous hike of petrol prices by over Rs 7."
"We appeal to the people of the country to make it a great success peacefully by conveying their profound anger," said Prasad here addressing media.
Outrage flared all over India as the sharpest hike till date in petrol prices took effect on Thursday.
Indian Oil said that along with fellow state oil retailers Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd and Bharat Petroleum, it would raise petrol prices by Rs 6.28 per litre excluding local taxes from midnight, translating to a 11.5 percent or Rs 7.5 hike in New Delhi and cities like Kolkata.
(With inputs from IBNS)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Box Office Collection: ‘Gulaab Gang’, ‘Queen’ and ‘Total Siyapaa’ Open on Dull Note
- Sidharth Malhotra Dating Virat Kohli’s Ex? [PHOTO]
- International Women’s Day: 8 South Indian Women who Have Made It Big in Bollywood
- New Fiat Punto Facelift Caught Testing Again; India Launch Soon
- Maruti Suzuki to Launch Alto K10 AMT by 2014 End: Report
- Bajaj Discover 125 Launched in India; Price, Features Details
- Six Nations Where to Watch Live: Ireland vs Italy Live Streaming Information
- International Women’s Day: From Mira Nair to Farah Khan, Women Directors in the Industry
- English Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs Tottenham Live Streaming Information
- English Premier League Preview: West Brom vs Manchester United Live Streaming Information