India Successfully Test Fires Akash Missile
Adding another feather to its defence, India successfully test fired its indigenously built surface-to- air Akash missile on Thursday. The missile was fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, Odisha.
The test firing of the surface-to- air missile came just a little more than a month after India launched Agni-V that has a range of more than 5,000 kilometers.
"The user-specific trial, which formed part of the country's routine air defence exercises, was successful," a Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) official associated with the Akash missile project told PTI.
"During the trial, the missile was aimed at intercepting a floating object supported by a pilotless target aircraft, flown from launch complex-II, at a definite altitude over the sea," added a source.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The Indian Air Force (IAF) was supposed to test fire the anti-aircraft missile from a makeshift launch pad off the Odisha coast on Wednesday but it was deferred to Thursday citing technical snags. The test was conducted after rectifying the snag in the cable of the ground launcher.
Instead of test firing from the launching complex-II of the ITR, the IAF created a war-like situation for the test. It is the first test firing of the missile by the IAF after it was officially inducted on March 3, 2012.
Akash is a medium range surface-to-air anti-aircraft defence system developed by the DRDO as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme. It has a strike range of 25 km and can carry a warhead of 60 kgs. It has the capability to target aircraft up to 30 km away and is packed with battery that can track and attack several targets simultaneously.
With the capability to neutralise aerial targets like fighter jets, cruise missiles, air-to-surface missiles etc, defence experts compare Akash to the American MIM-104 Patriot surface-to-air missile system.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Sudeep May Become Rajinikanth’s Villain in a Movie
- Gionee Elife S5.5 World’s Slimmest Smartphone Tipped to Debut in India by March End: Report
- Vijay, Dhanush, Simbu Have Fun During Night Out
- Could 2014 Women’s World T20 be the Giant Leap? [Full Schedule]
- ICC Women’s World T20 To Begin on March 23; Full Squad List
- Malaysia Air Probe Finds Scant Evidence of Attack, Say Sources
- Nokia Lumia 635: New Nokia Phone Spotted at FCC Database with Model Number RM-979
- Salman Khan Lauds Pulkit Samrat, Compares to Aamir Khan
- Domestic Car Sales up 1.39 Percent in February
- Box Office Collection: ‘300: Rise of an Empire’ Dominates Over Hindi Releases; ‘Shaadi Ke Side Effects’ Falls