India Successfully Test Fires Akash Missile
Adding another feather to its defence, India successfully test fired its indigenously built surface-to- air Akash missile on Thursday. The missile was fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, Odisha.
The test firing of the surface-to- air missile came just a little more than a month after India launched Agni-V that has a range of more than 5,000 kilometers.
"The user-specific trial, which formed part of the country's routine air defence exercises, was successful," a Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) official associated with the Akash missile project told PTI.
"During the trial, the missile was aimed at intercepting a floating object supported by a pilotless target aircraft, flown from launch complex-II, at a definite altitude over the sea," added a source.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The Indian Air Force (IAF) was supposed to test fire the anti-aircraft missile from a makeshift launch pad off the Odisha coast on Wednesday but it was deferred to Thursday citing technical snags. The test was conducted after rectifying the snag in the cable of the ground launcher.
Instead of test firing from the launching complex-II of the ITR, the IAF created a war-like situation for the test. It is the first test firing of the missile by the IAF after it was officially inducted on March 3, 2012.
Akash is a medium range surface-to-air anti-aircraft defence system developed by the DRDO as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme. It has a strike range of 25 km and can carry a warhead of 60 kgs. It has the capability to target aircraft up to 30 km away and is packed with battery that can track and attack several targets simultaneously.
With the capability to neutralise aerial targets like fighter jets, cruise missiles, air-to-surface missiles etc, defence experts compare Akash to the American MIM-104 Patriot surface-to-air missile system.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- 3rd Test, Day 3 Preview: New Zealand vs West Indies Live Streaming Information
- ‘Dhoom 3’ Box Office Collection: Aamir Starrer Opens to Packed Houses
- US Firm on Prosecuting Devyani Khobragade
- Confusion between Morgan Freeman and Nelson Mandela Turns Embarrassing [Photos]
- South Africa vs India 1st Test, Day 3 Score: Supreme Dominance from Away Side as Pujara, Kohli Carve Proteas Apart
- Nokia Lumia 1320, Lumia 525 to Hit Stores in India Next Month: Report
- Little India Riot: 52 Indians Deported to Make Singapore ‘Safe’
- ‘Dhoom 3’: Aamir Khan Refutes Rumours of Hike in Ticket Price
- Morgan Freeman Mistaken for Mandela; Embarrassing Billboard Image Goes Viral
- 2nd ODI Preview: Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Free Live Streaming Information
North Korea Threatens to Attack South ‘Without Notice’, Seoul Vows to React Sternly Against Provocation