Indian Girl Adopted At 3 Months Faces Deportation At 30 In US
Shepherd was adopted by an American family 30 years ago from an orphanage in Kolkata. She was only three-months-old when she was adopted. She is now facing deportation after a US court judge upheld the right of the US federal government to deport her to India.
Shepherd's adoptive mother died after suffering from cancer when she was only eight-years-old.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
When Shepherd was 17-years-old she faced major problems as she was suffering from drug habit. She was also convicted in cheque forgery.
Shepherd is currently hiding in US and is facing deportation by immigration authorities after the judge said the court did not have the jurisdiction to ascertain the legal status of the Indian girl.
The US administration said it wants to deport Kairi after they realized that her neutralization documents were incomplete.
(With inputs from IBNS)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Richard Gere Reportedly Dating Padma Lakshmi
- ‘Hush Hush’: Ansel Elgort, ‘Divergent’ Star for the Role of Patch Cipriano
- Pot Party at 420 and Medical Marijuana Legalization: Bane or Boon?
- Barcelona Open 2014 Results: Rafael Nadal Through to Round Three, Ferrer Ousted
- Pentagon Dossier to Detail Secretive U.S. Afghan Detainee Policy
- Rihanna's Ex-Beau Chris Brown to Stay in Jail for Two More Months, Rap Star Worried Sick and Broken