No Consensus On NCTC, But All CMs ‘Recognized The Necessity Of An Anti-Terrorism Body’
A meeting convened by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's in New Delhi on Saturday to forge a consensus with the opposing chief ministers on the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) failed to break the impasse.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, whose Trinamool Party is a key ally in the ruling UPA, strongly opposed the NCTC, terming it as a "unilateral step".
As many as 10 states dashed off their opposition to the NCTC.
To everyone's surprise, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi was the first Congress leader to apparently oppose the NCTC. However, he said that he would accept the anti-terror body with conditions.
On the other hand, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik recommended forming a sub-committee on the contentious anti-terror body and overhauling the current NCTC format on the guidelines of the panel.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"The proposed NCTC needs a total overhaul and for this I suggest that a smaller sub-committee of Chief Ministers be set up," she said.
Talking to reports after the meeting, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram said that there was no consensus on the NCTC. The Centre would consider the suggestions of all chief ministers, he said.
Chidambaram said that all the chief ministers had "recognised the necessity of an anti-terrorism body." However, they questioned the powers and functioning of the proposed NCTC.
"I have assured the chief ministers that all their suggestions will be considered," he said.
"As expected, some chief ministers strongly supported it, some gave qualified support and there were outright rejections by three chief ministers," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Thatcher on Wrong Side of History on Apartheid, Says John Major
- Besides Re-election, Can Minority Government Help Break BJP-AAP Impasse?
- Uruguay Becomes First Country to Legalise Marijuana
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Features to Include LDS Antenna for Slimmer Design
- US to Avert January Shutdown as Bipartisan Committee Reaches Deal on Budget
- Sandy Hook Anniversary: US Gun Sales Rise on States' Mass Loosening of Firearm Control
- Samsung Galaxy S5 No Match to iPhone 5S and Galaxy Note 3, New Benchmark Suggests
- LG G2 Mini Under Production; G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition Spec Details Revealed
- Nokia Lumia 2020: New Nokia Tablet to Arrive Soon with 8.3-inch 1080p Screen Display?
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Release Date On Q1 2014 With More Than One Low End Smartphones
Huge Memorial Service for Mandela at 95,000 Capacity FNB stadium; List of World Leaders Present at Event