Avalanche Mishap: Let’s Hope For A Miracle, Says Pakistani Official
After 24 hours of search operations, the rescue teams in avalanche-hit areas are hoping for some miracle to happen. On Saturday, a massive avalanche struck a Pakistan military camp along Indo-Pakistan border in Kashmir's Siachen Glacier burying as many as 124 Pakistani soldiers and 11 civilians.
With the help of choppers and sniper dogs, the rescue efforts are carried on full swing in order to find miracle survivors of merciless avalanche. However, the hope of finding the people trapped inside snow-bundles is blighting every passing minute.
The victims are trapped in one of the most unforgiving environments on earth, at an altitude of 15,000 feet near the Siachen Glacier in the Karakoram mountain range.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Let's hope for a miracle," a military official, who asked to remain anonymous, told Reuters.
"Come Wednesday and Thursday we expect cloudy conditions and some snow fall as well which will make it difficult for any rescue operations to continue," said meteorologist Mohammed Hanif on state television.
The number of deaths caused by the unbearable climate and avalanche higher than the life loss in gun battle, said the military experts. Siachen is in the northern part of the Himalayan region of Kashmir. The no-man's-land of Siachen is 20,000 feet above sea level.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Arjun Kapoor Promotes '2 States' at Gaiety Galaxy Theatre [PHOTOS]
- Micromax's Canvas Doodle 3 Teaser Hits Net [VIDEO]
- 'Transcendence' Critics Review Roundup: Johnny Depp Starrer Struggles to Grip
- Watch IPL 7 Match 5: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Mumbai Indians Live Streaming Information
- Watch IPL 7 Match 4 Live: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals Live Streaming Information
- Watch IPL 7 Match 3 Live: Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab Live Streaming Information