Samsung Electronics is yet to announce Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update for its Galaxy S5 but the test build of the new software for Sprint variant of the smartphone with model number SM-G900P has been leaked.
Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update has been rolled out to several devices, including Google Nexus series, HTC One and others, but it is yet to come to Samsung devices - Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Note 4. However, it looks like Samsung is working hard to bring the firmware to its devices, as it has been spotted running on some devices.
Now, the test build of Android 5.0 Lollipop for the Sprint bound Samsung Galaxy S5 has been leaked to XDA developers community by one named Garwynn, who claimed that he had "tested calls, SMS and other functions" but not all of the sensors.
The post comes with a disclaimer that claims the test build of the software is only for Sprint Galaxy S5 and should be run at one's own risk. It added that issues could arrive when the firmware is installed as it is not the official OTA.
However, users of Samsung Galaxy S5 can still get Android 5.0 Lollipop test build update if they want but at their own risk, as it can have bug issues.
Pre-requisites before starting the update:
- Android 5.0 Lollipop test build update is only for Sprint Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P) and running on other variants could cause problems. Model number of your phone can be checked by going to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
- Back up all your personal data and files, as they will be erased when the new software update starts.
- Connect your phone to your computer using USB cable, install Android SDK and use it.
- Make sure that your phone has enough battery to avoid shut down while installation is in progress.
- Download Android 5.0 test buildandOdin 3.04orOdin 3.07.
How to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on the Galaxy S5:
Step 1: Use the downloaded zip to extract .tar.md5 file.
Step 2: Extract Odin zip and run it as Administrator on the computer.
Step 3: Set your phone in Download Mode, switch it off then hold Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together.
Step 4: Connect your phone (while it is in download mode) to your computer using USB cable and wait for Odin to detect your device. The ID: COM box in Odin will change its colour to light blue with COM port number when your phone is successfully connected.
Step 5: Click PDA button in Odin and select the file with .tar.md5 extension.
Step 6: Now, enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin and make sure that Re-Partition checkbox is not checked.
Step 7: Click the start button in Odin to begin installation of the software.
Step 8: Your phone will start automatically once installation is done.
Step 9: The leaked Android 5.0 Lollipop test build should be running on your phone now. You can disconnect your phone from your computer.