The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Tuesday reiterated that the 39 Indian construction workers, who were taken captive by the Islamic State (Isis) in Mosul city of Iraq a year ago, are alive.
The confirmation came after Prime Minister Narendra Modi met Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas during his US visit.
President Abbas informed that all the Indians are alive and said that they will update the Indian government about its citizens captured in Syria as soon as they receive any information.
"The Prime Minister asked the president to share with him any information he had regarding the condition of the Indians, to which the president replied saying that any information regarding this matter has constantly been transferred between India and Palestine and as soon as they receive any new information regarding the prisoners, they will let us know," MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup told the media in New York.
The MEA said that the government will take necessary action to free the 39 Indians after getting more information.
The Isis had kidnapped several people, including 40 Indian workers, after taking over Iraq last year. While one of them managed to escape and returned to his home in Chandigarh, rest of them were said to have been executed by the Isis.
Harjit Masih, the construction worker who managed to escape, had told the Indian officials that the 39 captive Indians were taken to a hillock and shot at by the Isis. Two Bangladeshi Muslim workers were also kidnapped but were spared, Masih had claimed.
However, the Indian government has maintained that all the 39 Indians taken hostage by the Isis are alive. In July this year, Minister of State for External Affairs VK Singh had cited government sources in Baghdad to confirm that the Indian construction workers were safe.