More than 50 incidents targeting Muslims in France have been reported since last week's attack on Charlie Hebdo in Paris, the Central Council of Muslims in France has said, adding that Muslims in the country were 'scared'.
The incidents reported include 21 cases of shooting or throwing grenades at Islamic buildings and 33 threats and insults, the council's monitoring body revealed on Monday, according to France's The Local.
"Muslims are scared. I'm scared for my mother, my sister. I live in a working class neighborhood and I would have never imagined that such things could happen," Samy Debah, the president of the Collective Against Islamophobia in France (CCIF) told the news network. CCIF is monitoring body of the council.
"We don't feel like any measures are being taken to secure Muslim places of worship or to try to find the people responsible for these acts," he said.
France has begun deploying thousands of troops to protect 'sensitive sites', especially Jewish institutions and schools across the country, with more than 5,000 police officers set to guard around 700 Jewish schools .
The French government has also reportedly increased security at mosques.
"Synagogues, Jewish schools, but also mosques will be protected because in the past few days there have been a number of attacks against mosques," French Prime Minister Manuel Valls reportedly told BFM TV.
Attacks on mosques in France were reported within hours of the Charlie Hebdo terror attack, wherein two gunmen stormed into the satirical newspaper's office in Paris and shot down the editor, cartoonists and even police officers.
Grenades were reportedly thrown at a mosque last week in the city of Le Mans, while there were also also reports from Port-la-Nouvelle district in southern France that shots were fired at a Muslim prayer hall.