Malayalam superstar Mohanlal, who is known for his versatile style of acting, turns 55 on Thursday, 21 May.
From his debut film "Thiranottam" as a comedian in 1978, Mohanlal has acted in more than 324 Malayalam films, apart from other language films.
The actor, who has an eventful career of three decades, has always remained an evergreen actor for Malayalis.
Check out some interesting facts about the legendary actor below:
- Mohanlal was chosen as the best actor of his school in 1972 when he was in sixth standard.
- Mohanlal was Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's first hero in Mani Ratnam directorial "Iruvar" in 1997.
- Mohanlal starrer "Guru" was the first South Indian film to be nominated for Oscar Best Foreign Language Film in 1997.
- Mohanlal is the first Indian actor to be honoured with Lieutenant Colonel rank in the Territorial Army of India in 2009.
- The actor received the first Kerala State best actor award for his performance in Sathyan Anthikad's "TP Balagopalan MA".
- He has won four National Film Awards - 2 Best Actor Awards ("Bharatham", "Vanaprastham", one Special Jury Award ("Kireedam"), and one Award for Best Film as producer ("Vanaprastham").
- He has received nine Kerala State Film Awards.
- He was awarded Padma Shri in 2001.
- Mohanlal was honored with blackbelt in the Korean martial art Taekwondo from Grandmaster Lee Jeonghee (Sports General Manager Embassy of Korea) in 2013.