Prolific custom mobile software developers, CyanogenMod have released the new Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M11 to LG's 2013 flagship smartphone Google Nexus 5.
The new CM11 M11 series custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v4.4.4 KitKat OS and is said to bring bug fixes, customisation options to boost device performance, new visual interface, shortcut for easy access to key apps and loads of personalisation options such as-
- Adjustments to 'Glove Mode' (High Touch Sensitivity)
- Translations updates from CyanogenMod CrowdIn team
- Various security updates
- Lockscreen: Do not play sounds while a phone call is active & MSIM updates
- Show devices connected to your Wi-Fi (tethering) Hotspot
- General bug fixes
- Fixes signal strength showing '2147483647′ on certain devices
- Fixes bug related to 'switch to last app' action while in Recent view
- Fixes Navigation Bar arrow keys in RTL locales
- Frameworks: Add base & MSIM APIs for SEEK (Secure Element Evaluation Kit) support
- Frameworks: Fix volume button changing two 'steps' per click
- Frameworks: Add 'Screen Off' action for double-tap/long-press configuration options
- Frameworks & Core Apps: CAF and other upstream updates
- Camera: Adds support for all available Slow Shutter speeds (hardware dependent); Improve shutter button
- APN Updates for various regions
- Dialer/InCallUI: Fixes smartcover always showing answer fragment
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing the Custom ROM):
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation [Also read: Root Google Nexus 5 with Android v4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P via CF-Auto-Root Tool].
- This new CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M11 firmware has to be installed on the LG-Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Google Nexus 5) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-Step Installation Procedure of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M11 Custom ROM for LG- Google Nexus 5:
Step 2: Connect LG-Google Nexus 5 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M11 Custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG-Google Nexus 5) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M11 Custom ROM.