MIUI mobile software we see in Xiaomi Mi and Redmi series devices has been ported to Galaxy S5.
MIUI is a refreshing interface, which can be referred to as a hybrid between Android and iOS, which is not at all complex; it is simple and yet visually appealing. Now, users have the opportunity to experience feature-rich MIUI on their Galaxy S5.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new MIUI Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware can be installed on Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) Europe models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) smartphone will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery or else the smartphone might get temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of MIUI Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5 models-
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S5 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Once again reboot to Recovery mode and then flash Google Apps .zip file [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and restart the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S5) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of MIUI Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]