Arsenal right-back Hector Bellerin could very well be set for FC Barcelona this summer, numerous reports have been surfacing for some weeks now. Now, the most interesting thing remains to be seen is how much the Catalan giants are willing to pay for the Spaniard's service.
The Gunners reportedly asked at least £43million from Barca for Bellerin and the transfer has been agreed upon.
Now, fresh reports have come on Thursday May 18, that the above price could come down drastically...in the event Arsene Wenger fails to guide his side to the Champions League 2018-19 season.
That could also mean the Gunners being paid peanuts!
The Premier League 2016-17 table shows that Arsenal could potentially fail in ticking that expectation off.
Here's how the PL table looks like (as on May 18)
|Ranking||Team||Points||Goal difference||Games left|
Inferences and Scenarios
- Chelsea and Spurs have already made it to the Champions League 2017-18 group stages.
- Man City could play either in the UCL group stages / play-off round, considering their position in the table in the end of the season (Note: The fourth-placed team from the PL makes it to the Champions League playoff round).
- As for Arsenal, Wenger's side needs nothing but a win to keep hopes alive for the UCL qualification.
- If Arsenal record a draw, they have to pray for Liverpool's defeat. Not just that, the Gunners also need to record a superior goal difference over the Reds.
- If both Man City and Liverpool win, it's game over for Arsenal.
The Gunners play Everton on Sunday May 21 in their most important game of it all. The fate of the match also sets the price which FC Barcelona tables to Arsenal for Bellerin's services.
Hector Bellerin: 2016-17 season (as on May 18)
Joined Arsenal: 2013
Current contract until: June 30 2023
Matches played: 40
Goals scored: 0