Industrious XDA Developer Forum members have released the Nougat-based AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROM to Xiaomi's two popular devices.
Though Xiaomi offers software updates to old devices, it has a really bad reputation for releasing them very late, sometimes, it takes more than a year to roll them out.
If patience is not your strongest suit, the Xiaomi Mi 4 and Mi 4 series owners can install the custom ROM to enjoy the latest Android Nougat features.
In addition to Nougat features, it also brings exclusive themes, visually appealing interface, performance tweaks and many other value added features to enhance user experience.
Having said that, we like to advise readers that the AOSP Nougat ROM is an experimental version and may contain bugs in it. So far, there have been no major complaints as such, but we still urge our readers to go through entire tutorial and then and go ahead with the installation procedure.
What's not working?
- Video recording u need to use this app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.footej.camera)
- Clock app FC when viewing world cities
- SystemUI FC when activating Now-on-Tap (May be fixed if u activate navigation bar using build.prop modification)
- Any previous bug present in ZeurionX will be present here as well. [Work under progress to fix this issue]
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- This new AOSP (unofficial) Android 7.0 Nougat firmware has to be installed on the Xiaomi Mi 4 W/Mi 3W/Mi 4 LTE models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure to install USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xiaomi Mi 4W/ Mi 4 LTE/Mi 3W) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure the device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance for smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- If you face force close, go to Settings >> Setupwizard >> Give permission
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation guide of AOSP (unofficial) Android Nougat ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4W/ Mi 4 LTE/Mi3W-
Step 1: After downloading AOSP (unofficial) Android Nougat ROM and Google Apps in to the PC, connect Xiaomi Mi4/Mi3W to the computer via USB cord
Step 3: Place Android Nougat zip file and Google Apps into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)'and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 7.0 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Xiaomi Mi 3W/ Mi 4W/Mi 4 LTE ) will take at a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of AOSP (un-official) Android 7.0 Nougat ROM.
AOSP (unofficial) Android 7.0 Nougat firmware for Xiaomi Mi 4W/ Mi 4 LTE/Mi3W: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum, Shahan_mik3 and vasishath]