Microsoft has revealed the details of the October update that will be bringing a number of improvements to its next-generation gaming console, Xbox One.
The Xbox One October update will add the below features that will be making good use of the multi-tasking abilities in Xbox One. It will also help in better connectivity with friends.
Major changes come to the sometimes-troublesome Snap - with the update, users can now have to double tap the Xbox button that will draw up the quick menu that will let snap and unsnap apps. It will also record the last 30 seconds of gameplay.
Below are some of the features that are part of the Xbox One October update (Major Nelson):
New Snap and Friends functions
- Snap Updates - Quick access while playing the game will now be provided to Friends, Messages, Game DVR, clock, and battery indicator. This will make it easier for users to open and close snap apps. Users have to double tap the Xbox button that will allow them to open, close or switch apps in snap mode.
- Friends Snap App - will now allow users to access the friends list without leaving the game.
- Messages Snap App - will allow users to open, read and respond to messages in Snap mode.
- Achievements App - Users will be able to see and share their achievements with captions and also that of their friends who have unlocked specific achievements.
- Friends section - This section allows users to catch up with all the activity of their friends from the games that they are playing to the Gamerscore leaderboard.
- New SmartGlass features - Top SmartGlass games will be provided as a list and also those played by your friends.
Improvements for TV and video
- Media Player DLNA and MKV support - This update supports DLNA streaming. Now users will be able to access and play music, video, movies, slideshows that are stored up on home media servers and devices that support DLNA server protocols. Also, users will be able to support playback of MKV files stored on a USB device or a device with DLNA streaming.
- Live TV MiniGuide - A new MiniGuide display detailing the TV content of the current program has been added. Channels can be changed quickly allowing users to check what in on other channels.
- OneGuide in 11 new countries - Belgium, Chile, Columbia, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland and Russia will be getting Live TV listings and schedules on Xbox One and SmartGlass in few days.
- Internet TV Apps - Live TV channels apps will also be included in the OneGuide TV listings.
- Universal Remote Control in SmartGlass - Uses in any of the 11 countries mentioned above will now be able to use mobile device to control your Xbox, TV and Cable/Satellite box.
- Live TV initial setup experience - The "On start, go to TV" for Xbox One console will be enabled.
- Live TV Cable and Satellite Box auto-detection - Attempt to automatically detect set-top box connected to the HDMI-In port on Xbox One in select markets with Live TV cables has been undertaken.
New accessory and "hide" features
- Updated Devices and Accessories page - Users wanting this option will have go to Settings. Here they can Find, Assign, and Update Xbox One accessories
- Firmware updates - Here users can update the firmware for an individual device.
- Find my Controller - Controllers can be found by making them vibrate.
- Hide Games and Apps on your console - Users will now be able to hide items in "Ready to install" list that is under My Games and Apps.
- Password resets just got better - Microsoft has made it easier to reset password that will be more secure and will add more protection. Users will have to set up their account security once per account. They will not be needing to do it again and again.
(YouTube Courtesy: xbox)