Walt Disney Animation Studios has recently confirmed the sequel of its 2012's "Wreck-It Ralph," which will be released on March 9, 2018. The news has been announced by John C. Reilly, the voice actor of the titular character, through Facebook Live along with the directors Phil Johnston and Rich Moore.
As reported by E! News, Moore and Johnston had previously worked together on last year's hit "Zootopia," which became the second highest-earning movie of 2016, behind another of Disney's ventures, "Captain America: Civil War."
Sharing the details of "Wreck-It Ralph 2," Reilly said: "I would like to say the Internet right now, officially, that Disney Animation is making the sequel to 'Wreck-It Ralph,' and it comes out March 2018. March 9, 2018, to be exact."
Just when Reilly began to share some details of the "top secret" plot, the live video froze. Though fans were disappointed, it might have been an intentional act reminiscent of the technical glitches that were a significant element in the previous movie.
Besides Reilly, the project also features Sarah Silverman, who will be reprising the role of Vanellope von Schweetz. The voice cast of the original film consisted of Jack McBrayer as Fix-It Felix, Mindy Kaling as Taffyta Muttonfudge, Jane Lynch as Sergeant Tamora Jean Calhoun, and Alan Tudyk as King Candy.
"From the moment we started working on the first 'Wreck-It Ralph,' we knew there were so many possibilities with these characters," Moore said, "This time, Ralph's wrecking wreaks havoc on the Web — as only he can do. Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them — and the actors who voice them — once again."
Johnston also shared his idea of how the sequel can be: "The world of the internet is the perfect place to send Ralph and Vanellope. The scope and scale are so vast and the possibilities for comedy are endless."
"Ralph is a character very near and dear to my heart. I'm really looking forward to playing the big lug again. Making the first 'Wreck-It Ralph' was one of the most special experiences I've ever had and I'm really looking forward to bringing him back to life. So many kids I've met all over the world are excited to see him again, too. They tell me all the time!" Reilly said.
"Wreck-It Ralph" made $470 million worldwide at the box office and the producers are hopeful that the sequel will be equally successful.