World Cliche Day will be observed on 3 November, 2015 (Tuesday). A cliché, as we know, is a phrase used over and over again and many try to avoid using those same old lines for fear of sounding stupid.
Well, this is the day you can dole all those lines out without the fear of being judged. So go ahead and use all those clichés you have read and have wanted to use all these years.
Apart from using clichéd words, the best way to celebrate this day is to watch films — rom-com or horror — that have shamelessly used the same "tried and tested" formulae over the years.
On this fun day, we have decided to bring you list of common and overused clichés and phrases, and some that teach you something — always.
Here are five that remind you of basic but important life lessons.
1) "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"
- Don't criticise. Look at your own faults, before pointing fingers at others.
2) "Laughter is the best medicine"
- Always be Happy.
3) "The early bird catches the worm"
- Be hardworking.
4) "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"
- Be a fighter. Face your challenges.
5) "The grass is always greener on the other side"
- Be happy with what you have.
Then there are some clichés you hear often enough to include them in your writing and conversations. This is the day you can create situations and use some of them:
"Actions speak louder than words"
"This too shall pass"
"Show me the money"
"Only time will tell"
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder"
"Silence is golden"
"Don't judge a book by its cover"
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
"Love is blind"
"Ignorance is bliss"
"Better safe than sorry"
If you are the person who just loves using clichés, CLICK HERE to view the complete list of commonly used ones.