Google's latest Android 7.1 Nougat-based CyanogenMod custom ROM has been made available to the popular budget smartphone YU Yureka in India.
It brings the night mode, bundled notification, improved battery optimisation, multi-window options and numerous other value-added features to enhance user experience.
There is one caveat, though; this CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM is an experimental version and might contain some bugs in it. So, we urge our readers to go through the entire tutorial to assess the risk and then go ahead with the installation procedure.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android v7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 custom ROM series has to be installed on YU Yureka (aka tomato) model only, if tried on other devices, they might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing the custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore the warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory on the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (Yureka) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android v7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 custom ROM on YU Yureka model (aka Tomato)-
Step 1: DownloadAndroid v7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 custom ROM and Google Apps on your PC
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect YU Yureka to the computer
Step 3: Place the CyanogenMod Android 7.1 Nougat ROM into the phone's storage memory
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing the installation
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
YU Yureka CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 Android 7.0 Nougat ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum, Men_in_black007, CyanogenMod and @mikeioannina aka Michael Bestas]