Feature-rich Redmi Note 3 is one of the best selling products of the Xiaomi, but sadly the company has not made any progress and not even announced when it intends to launch Google's Android Nougat OS.
The Redmi Note 3 currently runs on the one generation old Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow-based MIUI v8.0 and if history is any indication, Xiaomi is unlikely to release the Nougat update this year.
If patience is not your strongest suit, then users can try installing the custom ROM. XDA Developer Forum's recognised software programmer Santhosh M has come up the exclusive firmware with Nougat features for the Redmi Note 3.
It weighs little over 540MB and brings all the Nougat features including multi-window options, bundled notification, improved battery optimisation and also CyanogenMod's exclusive themes, wall papers and numerous other value-added features to enhance user experience.
Readers, be advised, this CyanogenMod CM14.1 custom ROM is an experimental WIP (Work-in-Progress) version and contain bugs in it and some features are also not functioning.
- Other basic things
What's not working?
- Goodix fingerprint app may not work
Going by the reactions on the XDA Developer page, there have been no major complaints as such, but we still urge our readers to go through entire tutorial to assess the risk involved here and then, go ahead with the installation procedure.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- This new CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat firmware has to be installed on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (with Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 CPU) aka Kenso model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure to install USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 with Snapdragon 650) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure the device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance for smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- If you face force close, go to Settings >> Setupwizard >> Give permission
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation guide of CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (with Snapdragon 650) via TWRP-
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat and Google Apps in to the PC, connect Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to the computer via USB cord.
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect Redmi Note 3 to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place Android 7.1 Nougat ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the phone's storage memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android N ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Redmi Note 3) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat custom ROM.
CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat firmware for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (with Snapdragon 650): HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum, CyanogenMod and Santhosh M]