A new Android custom ROM has been made available for the flagship OnePlus One smartphone.
This SlimLP custom firmware is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.0.2 Lollipop update. It is built by the senior recognised XDA Developer Forum's member, going by the moniker Savannah, Ga. Other contributors include RobbieL811, Kufikugel, Tylog, a63548, ak and team SlimROMs.
The new SlimLP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is an alpha version and it brings in special features such as:
- Custom short-cuts to Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications and more
- System-Wide Keyboard Controls
- Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions (SlimCentre will soon be released)
- Downloads, contact information, system app removal.
- Camera features include Trueview and Smart Capture.
- Performance tweaks and lots of improvements to enhance the user experience
Prerequisites(Things to remember before installing the Custom ROM):
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This new SlimLP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the OnePlus One model only ; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (OnePlus One) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of SlimLP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Alpha custom ROM on OnePlus One model:
Step 2: Connect OnePlus to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (OnePlus One) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of SlimLP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM.