Galaxy S5 is eligible to get the official Android Marshmallow update, but Samsung is silent on when the update will be deployed.
2015 flagships devices -- Galaxy S6 series and Note 5 -- recently began receiving the update. So going by this release pattern, it seems that it will take a few more weeks if not more for the Galaxy S5 to get the new OS.
Those Galaxy S5 (LTE) owners, who are tired of waiting for the official update, can install MoKee custom ROM to explore all the new features of Android Marshmallow.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new MoKee Android Marshmallow custom ROM has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) - model only; if tried on other devices, it might bricked them [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S5) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of MoKee Android Marshmallow custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) models:
Step 1: After downloading MoKee Android Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC, connect Samsung Galaxy S5 to the computer via USB cord
Step 2: Place MoKee Android Marshmallow custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
Step 3: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Now, clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Navigate back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android M ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Once again reboot to Recovery mode and then flash Google Apps .zip file [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S5) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of MoKee Android Marshmallow custom ROM.
MoKee Android Marshmallow custom ROM: HERE [Build date: Feb. 29, 2016]
Google Apps: HERE
USB driver: HERE
[Credits: Team Android]