A new Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update, SlimLP custom ROM has been made available to Samsung's 2013 flagship compact smartphone, the Galaxy S4 Mini.
It is 200MB in size and brings new value-added features to enhance user experience.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing the Custom ROM):
- This new SlimLP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM has to be installed on Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195) only, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [to check your device model, go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in the future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back up all the data by installing TWRP/Recovery app in the smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Galaxy S4 Mini LTE) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure for SlimLP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)-
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Now place GPE Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for Google Apps installation [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Your device (Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE GT-I9195) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of SlimLP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]