Android Nougat-based crDroid custom ROM has been made to the OnePlus X. There is no word on whether OnePlus will release the official Android Nougat to OnePlus X, but we are certain that it will be very long before the company initiates the roll-out process, as it took more than a year to release Marshmallow to the 2015 mid-range phone.
If patience is not your strongest suit, you can try installing the crDroid custom ROM on OnePlus X.
In addition to Nougat features, it brings exclusive themes, visually-appealing interface, performance tweaks and many other value-added features to enhance user experience.
Having said that, we advise readers that the crDroid's Nougat custom ROM is an experimental version and may contain bugs. So far, there have been no major complaints as such, but we still urge readers to go through the entire tutorial and then go ahead with the installation procedure.
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- This new CrDroid Android Nougat custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus X aka Onyx model only; if tried on other devices, it might brick them [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader on OnePlus X and install TWRP]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CrDroid Android Nougat custom ROM on OnePlus X model via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: Download CrDroid Android Nougat custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus X to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place Android Nougat custom ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the phone's storage memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before you begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Return to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'.
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android N ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options].
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (OnePlus X) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of crDroid [un-official] Android Nougat custom ROM.
OnePlus X Android Nougat-based crDroid [un-official] custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
[Credits: crDroid Android and Sarthak Narang]