Industrious XDA Developer Forum programmers have developed a new CyanogenMod CM14 series custom ROM for OnePlus 3.
Currently, OnePlus 3 runs Android Marshmallow-based OxygenOS 3.0 OS and it is confirmed to get the latest Android v7.0 Nougat. But the sad truth is that this official update is likely to be released next year. OnePlus took close to eight months to deliver OxygenOS 3.0.2 (Android v6.0.1) to OnePlus 2. So if that is taken as any indication, OnePlus 3 users might have to wait for the new firmware to arrive around the second quarter of 2017 or even a little later.
OnePlus 3 owners, who do not want to wait for the official Nougat update, can try installing the CyanogenMod CM13 custom ROM.
It brings all the goodies of the Nougat such as night mode, bundled notification, improved battery optimisation, multi-window options and numerous other value-added features to enhance user experience.
There is one caveat though, this software is an experimental version and contain some bugs, which might affect some functions of the device.
Readers are advised to go through the whole article to weigh out all the pros and cons, and then go ahead with the installation.
- Mobile Data
- DPI (Dots Per Inch) Selector (screen density changer feature)
- NFC (maybe)
- Google Play application installing
- Dash Charge
- Alert slider
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- This new CyanogenMod CM14 (unofficial) Android v7.0 Nougat custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus 3 models only; if tried on other devices, it might brick them [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod CM14 (unofficial) Android v7.0 Nougat custom ROM on OnePlus 3 via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: DownloadCyanogenMod CM14 (unofficial) Android v7.0 Nougat custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus 3 to the computer
Step 3: Place the CyanogenMod Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
OnePlus 3 CyanogenMod CM14 (unofficial) Android v7.0 Nougat custom ROM: HERE [Build date: Sept. 6, 2016]
Google Apps: HERE
USB driver: HERE
[XDA Developers Forum, Taker18, genesixxbf3 and flo071 ]