Prolific custom ROM developer community AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) has released a new nightly firmware for Motorola's popular mid-range smartphone Moto G (1 Gen) aka Falcon.
AICP's latest 9.0 nightly version is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1.1_r4Lollipop, which is being released for select Nexus devices. It will take a while for Motorola to roll out the firmware. Tech-savvy users who just can't wait for the official software can explore new features of AICP custom ROM on the Moto G.
We would like to remind our readers that the version is unstable and there are some untested bugs that are yet to be fixed.
We advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the AICP LP 9.0 Nightly):
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation. [Read more: How to Root Motorola Moto G (Gen 1) with Android 5.0 Lollipop via CF-Auto-Root Tool]
- This CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM can be installed on Moto G (Gen 1) aka Falcon models - XT1031, XT1032, XT1033 and XT1034 - and Google Play Edition (XT1032). If tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure to install USB drivers on the PC, else your device (Moto G) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, else there is chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of AICP [official] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM nightly on Motorola Moto G (Gen 1) aka Falcon-
Step 2: Connect Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) aka Falcon to the PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software; if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, they must ensure the device has been rooted; they should also ensure installation of ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Go back to Recovery mode, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Your device (Moto G - Gen 1) will now take few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of AICP [official] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM nightly.
[Credits: AICP (Android Ice Cold Project)]