Despite being a new 2015-series phone, Moto E (2nd Gen) does not figure in Motorola's list of devices eligible for Android Marshmallow.
The company has so far chosen to remain silent over the decision. That said, Moto E (2nd Gen) owners need not feel disheartened, as there are numerous avenues get the device upgraded to the new Android OS.
The world's most popular custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod has released the new CM13 series firmware, which will bring all the goodies of Android Marshmallow and numerous other value-added features to enhance the user-experience on Moto E (2nd Gen).
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the custom ROM)
- This CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM can be installed on Moto E (2nd Gen) aka Otus (XT1505, XT1506, XT1511) models only; if tried on other devices, it might brick them. [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Though installing the custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward for custom ROM installation. [More information on Moto E Rooting/Bootloader unlocking, HERE]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Moto E) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or becoming permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on Motorola Moto E (Gen 2) aka Condor-
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Scroll down to find the downloadable file]
Step 2: Connect Motorola Moto E (Gen 2) to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card's root folder memory.
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
[Note: If the user is flashing the custom ROM for the first time, then continue with Step 6 or else if the device being upgraded from previous nightly version or stable milestone version, then skip Step 6]
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Come back to Recovery mode, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Moto E 2nd Gen) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM.
CyanogenMod CM13 custom ROM: HERE [build date: 04/12/2015]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE