Last month, LG officially rolled out the new Android 6.0 Marshmallow to the flagship G4 in select parts of the world.
The new update brought Doze power saver options, new security boot system and a slew of new features to the devices.
LG G4 owners who aren't satisfied with the new firmware and want to get more out of their device can try installing the CyanogenMod CM13 custom ROM nightly. It offers up-to-date security features, easy shortcuts, numerous personalisation options and performance tweaks to enhance user experience on LG G4.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod ROM):
- This Android 6.0 Marshmallow nightly ROM has to be installed on the LG G4 (H815) model only ; if tried on other devices, it might brick them. [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back up all the data by installing TWRP on the smartphone.
- Users should make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the smartphone (LG G4) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or becoming permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow nightly ROM on LG G4 (H815) model via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod CM13 Android Marshmallow nightly in to your PC, connect LG G4 to the computer
[Note: scroll down to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Place the Android Marshmallow stock ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 3: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 4: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 5: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 6: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting all the .Zip files (System, Modem, Boot, Bootloader) in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
CyanogenMod CM13 Android Marshmallow: HERE