Early this month, Sony officially began rolling out the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update to the company's flagship Xperia Z3, Z2 series smartphones across the globe.
The details regarding update release for the older model Xperia Z1 (aka Honami) are yet to be ascertained, but word on the street is that the company is expected deploy the v5.0 firmware to 2013 marquee phone in next month.
Sony Xperia Z1 owners who are impatient and are eager to experience newer, visually appealing interface and other numerous customisation options of the new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop can try installing the new CyanogenMod CM12 series custom ROM.
We like to remind our readers that this CyanogenMod software is a nightly version, which is a bit unstable and has some un-tested bugs in it. So, we advise our readers go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
The good news is that Cyanogen has confirmed that they are on final stages of the development (85-percent complete) of the stable firmware and would roll out it soon. Until then users can upgrade their device with the nightly update.
Some of features that are missing in the CM12 nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganisation and customisation
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganisation and customisation
- Sound panel customisation
- Lock-screen quick unlock
Prerequisites(Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party addons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and follow the above 1 and 2 steps
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a back-up of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This new CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z1 (aka Honami) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xperia Z1) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation Guide of CyanogenMod [Official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 Custom ROM Nightly on Sony Xperia Z1 (aka Honami)-
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z1 (aka Honami) to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click (HERE) to download firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom firmware .zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Recovery Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (Up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode.]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation.]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'.
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options.]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z1) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to device's 'Settings' option>> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Android v5.0.2 CyanogenMod CM12 custom firmware.