An AOSP (Android Open Source Project) Marshmallow-based Chroma ROM has been made available to Huawei Nexus 6P.
It has been developed by XDA Developers Forum's senior recognised member, zephiK. The Chroma ROM offers Google's stock Android Marshmallow experience with value-added features, performance tweaks and the latest security patches.
Salient features of Chroma ROM include:
- Status Bar customisation option for battery style, Clock& Date, network traffic and more
- Double tap navigation bar to sleep option
- Advanced Reboot (soft reboot/recovery/bootloader)
- Volume rocker personalisation option like wake device with volume keys, long press volume (up/down) to skip the music track when screen is off
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android Marshmallow Chroma ROM series has to be installed on Motorola-Google Huawei Nexus 6P (aka Angler) model only, if tried on other devices, it might brick them [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC or else your device (Google Nexus 6P) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android Marshmallow Chroma ROM on Huawei Google Nexus 6P
Step 1: After downloading the Android Marshmallow Chroma ROM and Google Apps in the PC, connect Huawei's Google Nexus 6P to PC via USB chord.
Step 2: Then, place the Android M custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 3: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by long pressing 'Volume Up,' 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 6: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 7: Then go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Again come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 9: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android M ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Huawei's Google Nexus 6P) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android Marshmallow Chroma ROM.
Huawei Nexus 6P (aka Angler) Android Marshmallow Chroma ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE
[Credits: XDA Developers Forum, zephiK]