An AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based Marshmallow Chroma ROM has been made available to the Google Nexus 5.
The Google Nexus 5 currently runs on the stock Android OS with no bloatware. It helps in the smooth functioning of the device, but if users are interested to get more out of their smartphone, they can try the new updated Chroma custom ROM.
It offers up-to-date security patches, performance tweaks and value-added features in addition to stock Android experience, claims zephiK, the developer of Chroma (& a prominent XDA Developer Forum member/contributor).
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing the Custom ROM):
- The new Chroma Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM must be installed on the LG-Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) only, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure the USB driver is installed on the PC, or else your smartphone (Google Nexus 5) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of Chroma Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on LG- Google Nexus 5-
Step 2: Connect LG-Google Nexus 5 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place the Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in root folder of the storage, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to the TWRP Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: Perform the above step if you are migrating from other ROMs or else skip this procedure and do dirty flashing, which means wiping only dalvik cache and cache when flashing an updated version of the same ROM you are currently on]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Go back to the recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache'
[Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG-Google Nexus 5) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Chroma Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM.
[If you face any issue, then please leave your feedback, HERE]