Nexus 5 series' software update service was disbanded recently as it crossed the two-year age limit, leaving the device stuck with Android Marshmallow OS.
However, Nexus fans, who are still hanging on to the former flagship phone, need not feel disheartened. There are numerous custom ROMs in the internet. Among them, NitrogenOS is popular. It promises not only the new v7.0 Nougat features, but also bring performance tweaks, extend battery life and several other value-added options to enhance user-experience.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android 7.0 Nougat NitrogenOS custom ROM has to be installed on Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) LTE only model, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- AOSP ROM has to be installed through TWRP only
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the tablet, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC or else your device (Google Nexus 5) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 per cent battery, or else there is a chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 7.0 Nougat NitrogenOS custom ROM for Nexus 5 via TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project)-
Step 1: Download Android 7.0 Nougat NitrogenOS custom ROM in to your PC.
[Scroll to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 5 to the computer
Step 3: Place the Android Nougat AOSP ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
Android 7.0 Nougat NitrogenOS custom ROM: HERE
Google Gapps: HERE
USB driver: HERE
[Credits: Team Android]