Leading custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod on Wednesday released the Google's latest Android v7.1 Nougat based CM 14.1 series firmware to the Asus Zenfone 2 model.
In addition to the Nougat features, it also brings exclusive themes, wall papers, performance enhancement, battery optimization options to the 2015 flagship phone.
Since the new software is nightly version, it is missing some features. That being said, it does not contain any bugs and is safe to run the software on the device. CyanogenMod developers have promised to released new features and shortcuts in coming days.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new CyanogenMod [official] Android 7.1 Nougat CM 14.1 custom ROMseries has to be installed on select Asus Zenfone 2 Selfie/Laser (aka Z00T: ZE551KL, ZX551KL and ZD551KL) models only. If tried on other devices, they might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (Asus Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 7.1 Nougat CM 14.1 custom ROM nightly on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie-
Step 1: Download the CyanogenMod [official] Android v7.1 Nougat CM 14.1 custom ROMand Google Apps files on to your PC and connect Asus Zenfone 2 Selfie/Laser to the computer via USB cord.
[Note: Scroll down for download links of custom ROM, Gapps and USB driver software]
Step 2: Place Android N zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Return to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Navigate back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android M ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Asus Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie) will take at a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [official] Android 7.1 Nougat CM 14.1 custom ROM
Download the latest files here:
|Model||CyanogenMod [official] CM14.1 custom ROM nightly||CyanogenMod CM14.1 compatible Recovery file|
|Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie (1080p) aka Z00T||Link||Link|