The University Grants Commission (UGC) released a list of fake universities in India on Wednesday, 1 July.
The apex body for higher education has listed 21 universities in New Delhi, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh.
Uttar Pradesh and New Delhi have the maximum number of fake universities.
"Students and public at large are informed that such 21 self-styled and unrecognized institutions, functioning under the contravention of the UGC Act are declared as fake, and are not entitled to confer any degrees further," the UGC says in its notice released on Wednesday.
Check out the list of the fake universities in India below:
1. Maithili University, Darbhanga, Bihar
2. Varanseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Delhi
3. Commercial University Ltd, Delhi
4. United Nations University, Delhi
5. Vocational University, Delhi
6. ADR- Central Juridical University, Delhi
7. Indian Institution of Science and Engineering, Delhi
8. Badagnavi Sarkar World Open Educational Society, Belgaum, Karnataka
9. St. John's University, Kishanattam, Kerala
10. Kesarwani Vidyapith, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
11. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
12. D D B Sanskrit University, Putur, Trichy, Tamil Nadu
13. Indian institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata, West Bengal
14. Mahila Gram Vidyapith, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
15. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
16. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
17. Netaki Subhash Chandra Bose University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
18. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Uttar Pradesh
19. Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh
20. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Noida-Phase II, Uttar Pradesh
21. Gurukul Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh