Cristiano Ronaldo won FIFA’s player of the year award for 2016 on 9 January, beating rival Lionel Messi to the title. 31-year-old Ronaldo won the Champions League with Real Madrid, and then Euro 2016 with Portugal. Italian Claudio Ranieri won the coach of the year award for leading underdogs Leicester City to the English Premier League title.
Jan 10, 2017
Lionel Messi's statue in Argentina vandalised on the same day Ronaldo wins best player award (Photos)
Cristiano Ronaldo is The Best, as Real Madrid superstar beats Lionel Messi to FIFA award; full list of winners
One Direction tops Forbes 2016 list of highest-paid European celebrities; Cristiano Ronaldo, Roger Federer follow
Football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has been declared player of the year at the Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai on 27 December. The Portuguese national has had a phenomenal year, winning Euro 2016 with Portugal, the Champions League and Club World Cup with Real Madrid, as well as the being awarded the Ballon dOr. In his message via video link, Ronaldo told the audience that it had been his best year ever, but that he wanted to do it all again next year.
Dec 28, 2016
- Maharashtra to be the first state in India to get a hyperloop — Mumbai to Pune in 25 minutes
- Worst crash in Winter Olympics history? Del Bosco lucky to be alive after accident at PyeongChang
- Oli's India snub: Revives dam project with China, to review Nepali recruitment in Indian army
- Fishtail brows are actually a thing now, but are they for you?
- Truck loaded with thousands of live chickens crashes on Australian highway