Aamir Khan has finally responded to the controversy that started with reports of he being removed as the brand ambassador of "Incredible India" campaign. It was recently reported that Aamir Khan had been removed as the brand ambassador of "Incredible India", and it was being speculated that the move was in response to Aamir's comments on "rising intolerance" in India.
Although the Tourism Ministry soon clarified that he had not been removed but his contract validity had expired, Twitter was flooded with several comments and it turned into a big issue.
Nevertheless, Aamir has come up with a response with regard to the controversy. "Whether I am brand ambassador or not, India will remain incredible, and that's the way it should be," ANI quoted Aamir as saying. "It is prerogative of government to decide whether they need brand ambassador for any campaign, and if so, who that ambassador should be," he added.
Whether I am brand ambassador or not, India will remain Incredible, and that's the way it should be: Aamir Khan— ANI (@ANI_news) January 7, 2016
Earlier, Minister of State for Tourism Mahesh Sharma had explained that the government did not remove Aamir as the brand ambassador of "Incredible India". "Our agreement was with a media agency, namely, McCann. That was for a particular work. That work they have delievered to us. They have completed that project. Hence, that contract is now over," The Indian Express quoted Sharma as saying.
He also said Aamir's comments on "rising intolerance" was not at all an issue for the Ministry of Tourism. "We have nothing to do with it. That (Aamir's remark) was a non-issue for us. The Ministry of Tourism has nothing to do with that," he said.