Twin explosions in government-controlled neighbourhood of Homs city killed 16 people and wounded several others on Saturday, a group monitoring the war and state media said.
Islamic State (Isis) has claimed responsibility for the attack.
A vehicle bomb exploded close to a hospital in Alawite neighbourhood of Al-Zahra, east of Homs city, the Syrian observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said, Reuters reported.
The blasts occurred days after the local government extended its control on the western city post the implementation of a truce deal in Waer, which is the last insurgent area of Homs city, according to Reuters.
Some fighters and civilians have already left from Waer, which is located in the city's western outskirts. Aid has been allowed to enter.
As per reports, Isis described the incident as a suicide car bomb attack in the centre of Zahra district.
As people were tending to the victims of the first explosion in the heavily populated neighbourhood, a second large blast appeared to have come from an exploding gas canister, hit the people, Reuters reported.
The state television had earlier described the attack as two large terrorist explosions.
According to SANA news agency, the vehicle was packed with 150 kg of explosives. The agency also published a photograph of a women being carried away from burning wreckage by two men.
Footage from the state television showed a chaotic scene of people stumbling over rubble as they tried to ferry the injured. Black smoke was seen rising above the metal debris, Reuters reported.
In April this year, two powerful car bomb explosions ripped through Homs city. At least 37 people were killed near a busy roundabout in the city of Homs.
Russia, France and the UK have launched airstrikes against Isis in Syria post the 13 November Paris terror attacks.